National Junior Honor Society
Sacred Heart Catholic School is proud to be associated with the National Junior Honor Society. Membership in the Sacred Heart Catholic School NJHS chapter is an honor bestowed upon deserving students based on the criteria of scholarship, service, leadership, citizenship and character. In order to be considered for membership by the NJHS Faculty Council, students must:
- Be in 6th, 7th or 8th grade.
- Attend Sacred Heart Catholic School for at least one full semester.
- Maintain a 3.50 cumulative grade point average per semester. Semester grades from 6th grade on will be used to compute the cumulative average. Please see Mrs. Wimmer, the NJHS advisor, to verify your cumulative GPA.
- Demonstrate leadership. To meet the leadership criterion, students must name three leadership roles at school or in the community achieved since 6th grade, indicate the roles and the name of the adult who supervised these activities on the Candidate Form. Some examples of leadership include: proposing solutions and suggestions, demonstrating initiative in promoting school activities, exercising a positive influence, contributing ideas that improve the civic life of the school, inspiring positive behavior in others, successfully holding school office or a position of responsibility, and showing initiative within the classroom.
- Demonstrate service. Students must complete ten hours of service undertaken at school or within the community within the last year. These are actions taken without reward. Service hours indicated on the Candidate Form should include the name of an adult supervisor for verification. Some examples of service include: volunteering in or out of the school and providing dependable and well organized assistance, working well with others, rendering service cheerfully, mentoring others, displaying courteous behavior to others, participating in some activity outside of school, such as Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, religious groups (such as alter serving), volunteer services for the elderly, poor, or disadvantaged.
- Demonstrate citizenship. Some examples of citizenship include: understanding the importance of civic engagement, showing high regard for freedom, justice, and the American Form of government, and demonstrating mature participation in the community through involvement with school, athletic, parish, or community activities.
- Demonstrate character. Students must demonstrate respect, responsibility, trustworthiness, fairness, and caring. Some examples of character include: taking criticism willingly, upholding moral and ethical principles, cooperating with school regulations, being a positive influence, honesty, reliability, punctuality, self-discipline. There can be no detentions within the school year.
A student who is academically eligible for membership and meets the above criteria may complete the Student Activity Candidate Form and Sign the Membership Requirements and Bylaw Form. All forms should be turned in to Mrs. Joni Greene, NJHS academic advisor.